SENIOR PROCUREMENT SPECIALIST – REPOST Job in Airdrie, AB at City of Airdrie
The City of Airdrie fosters a culture of accountability and values open dialogue, innovation and entrepreneurial spirit, collaborative relationships, learning, ownership, and encouraging the heart. We are searching for another team member who will help us get to the next level.
We’re a place where you can grow. We’re a place where you’re encouraged to learn and be innovative. We’re a place where people take ownership and do what they say they’ll do. We’re a place where colleagues are friends and neighbours are customers. We’re a place where health, wellness and safety are top of mind. We’re a place where you just might be a perfect fit.
Procurement Services provides strategy and support to City staff to optimize the use of public funds and to ensure the integrity and efficiency of procurement processes. Procurement of goods and services includes fiscal stewardship, training, guidance, and compliance with policy and legislation.
This position operates at a senior level, working independently and dealing with complex matters.
The following are the highlights of the primary accountabilities for this position:
- Provide expertise in common law, contract law, competitive bidding law, Municipal Government Act, Agreement on Internal Trade (AIT), New West Partnership Trade Agreement (NWPTA) and other provincial statutes
- Research best practices in procurement, tendering process and contracting
- Develop boilerplates/standard terms and conditions for contracts and make necessary changes to boilerplates when circumstances of the procurement require the change
- Evaluate and recommend to departments the required legislated licensing, insurance coverage, bonding and certifications, and ensure they are contained within the contracts
- Review competitive bidding/purchase contracts periodically and amend or extend contracts as required, to ensure risk to the City is mitigated and/or avoided
- Consult with City staff on required competitive bidding/purchase requirements, contractual obligations and legal issues
- Consult with the team leader for Procurement and when required, the City appointed lawyers, with regard to contractual obligations or potential litigation
- Assist departments to handle nonperformance or poor performance of the contracts, potential breach of the contract and remedies with medium to high risk
- Handle complex and unique competitions associated with high risk and provide expertise and handle Tender/RFP packages, prequalification process, multiple stages competitions, evaluation criteria
- Review and initiate changes to the procurement policy and procedures to ensure compatibility with current legislation
- Ensure compliance with procurement policy and procedures and monitor and oversee corporate procurement practices
- Other duties as required
- Professional Designation such as CPPO and CPPB, Supply Chain Management Professional (SCMP), Operational Management with a minimum of a Bachelor Degree with related majors
- Five (5) years’ experience in public procurement performing tendering/procurement/contracting/risk duties
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of current procurement methodologies, competitive bidding laws, legislation impacting public procurement, contract law, common law and provincial statues
- Candidates must possess experiential knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of procurement, and be abreast of various Acts and Regulations governing the public purchasing function
- Candidates must be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Previous experience with a financial system would be an asset
- Possess exceptional communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Demonstrated high standard of ethics, integrity and discretion
- Demonstrated ability to work with the team and contribute towards teambuilding
- Superior verbal and written communication skills including ability to handle difficult vendors/stakeholders
- Ability to provide consistent professional services under the pressure of conflicting priorities and public scrutiny
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, deadline driven role, while adapting to a constantly changing and challenging work environment
- Ability to apply procurement theory in conjunction with current legislation and policy and procedures
- Ability to formulate and implement procurement policies and procedures
- Ability to process a high volume of information within tight deadlines
- Ability to work with considerable independence and to demonstrate initiative and resourcefulness in establishing and achieving business objectives
Along with a competitive compensation program and City paid health and dental premiums, our employees also enjoy:
- Excellent health, dental, paramedical, and benefits plan
- First-in-class pension plan
- Career development and tuition reimbursement
- Employee discounts, annual adult Genesis Place pass, social events, and health & wellness initiatives
Continuous learning through training and development is encouraged as are flexible work arrangements, when possible. We recognize that our people work best when they feel engaged in their environment and appreciated for their efforts and our overall benefits package reflects that
This permanent full time position consists of 37.5 hours per week and includes a comprehensive benefit and pension package.
Please note: Screening and interviewing may commence prior to the posted closing date.
Candidates are invited to apply online.
Postings close at 9 p.m. on the closing date listed in the posting. We recommend applying as soon as possible as we are not able to accept late applications.
Please review the job competition carefully and be sure to attach any specifically requested documentation in the My Documents section of your application.
Thank you for your interest in the City of Airdrie.
About the Company
Company: City of Airdrie
Company Location: Airdrie, AB