Northern Zone Manager – Health Information Services Job in Truro, NS at Nova Scotia Health Authority
Location: Northern Zone, Flexible within the zone
Department: IMIT HIS Admitting & Registration NZ
Type of Employment: Regular Hourly FT (100% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: Management position
Posting Closing Date: 16-Dec-20
Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM on the Closing Date.
Nova Scotia Health Authority is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia. We are over 22,000 employees who provide health care and support services in hospitals, health centres and community-based programs throughout Nova Scotia.
Nova Scotia Health Authority provides health services to Nova Scotians and some specialized services to Maritimers and Atlantic Canadians. We operate hospitals, health centres and community-based programs across the province. Our team of health professionals includes employees, doctors, researchers, learners and volunteers that provide the health care or services you may need. This is accomplished across four geographic management zones which are responsible for the operation of acute care health centres and the provision of a variety of inpatient, outpatient services including academic, tertiary, quaternary care and community-based programs and services including continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions.
Reporting to the Director(s) – Health Information Services, the Zone Manager is responsible for providing strategic and program-level leadership to NS Health within the zone.
Demonstrating leadership behaviours and capabilities, consistent with LEADS in a Caring Environment framework, which include Leads Self, Engages Others, Develops Coalitions, Achieves Results and Transforms Systems, the Manager will be accountable to support the NSHA mission and vision in the implementation and evaluation of all required health information and technology for decision making. In addition, s/he will be accountable to:
Work in collaboration with stakeholders across all levels of the health system to ensure that legislation and policies are implemented in a consistent/equitable manner and that resources are effectively utilized
Direct responsibility for $2 million budget
Responsible for approximately 30-70 FTE’s
Knowledge of Privacy Legislation – Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act, Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, Personal Health Information Act (FOIPOP, PIPEDA, PHIA)
Ability to supervise staff in complex, unionized, multi-site operation 24/7-365 days per year
Manage aspects of health information services pertaining to any or all of the following: bookings, registration, switchboard/locating, chart completion/chart deficiency analysis and retention, quality monitoring and reporting, document management and release of information/confidentiality in accordance with legislation and established guidelines and processes.
Provides access and disclosure to Health Information in accordance with the Health Information Act and Provincial HIM Standards
Fosters good communication with health information management and healthcare centre/hospital personnel
Collaborate with IM/IT Services to ensure data governance is applied to all systems and tools for internal and external stakeholders, programs, divisions, care teams, service teams and staff
Works collaboratively within NS Health to ensure health information standards are followed
Stay current through research and evaluation of information management, technology and practice changes to ensure there is an understanding of the needs of all of our partners, clients, staff and physicians and have processes, structure and systems in place to meet the needs of all of our constituents
Understand current information and technology systems in place across the NSHA with the focus in level setting to ensure standards and access to system is standardized and equitable
Work collaboratively with other HIS Zone Managers ensuring standardization, implementation and adherence of HIS policies/practice in alignment with industry standard
Maintain knowledge of privacy and security legislation and regulations, confidentiality, access and release of information practices
Ensure continuous assessment and quality improvement
Act as a senior subject matter expert role within the team
- Undergraduate degree, plus a minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years’ of leadership experience with health information management in an organization of significant size and/or complexity is required (consideration may be given to those with equivalent training and work experience)
- Current registration with the Canadian College of Health Information Management (CHIMA) and the Nova Scotia Health Information Management Association is required
- Knowledge of Privacy Legislation – Freedom of Information & Protection of Privacy Act, Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act, Personal Health Information Act (FOIPOP, PIPEDA, PHIA)
- Knowledge and skills in the areas of HIS tools, applications and systems of support is required
- Certified Health Executive and/or Certified Professional in Healthcare Information and Management Systems (CPHIMS) designation is an asset
- Project Management Professional (PMP) and/or organizational change management certification an asset
- Experience implementing HIS strategy, policy and process for a large, complex organization
- Ability to influence and collaborate with diverse stakeholders
- Ability to execute through effective delegation, motivation and oversight
- Experience in data analytics, especially within clinical/healthcare environment
- Ability to develop and establish financial policies and procedures
- Experience in working with patient care leaders and staff across a large organization
- Knowledge of e-health strategies and its role in information management and technology
- Experience planning and managing multiple, complex projects involving major changes to business processes, workflow, and preparation of staff and/or customers for the changes
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills
- Commitment to providing the best healthcare experience possible to our patient
- Travel within the province will be required
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred
Current Managers belonging to Nova Scotia Health Information Services team who do not have current registration with the Canadian College of Health Information Management (CHIMA) and the Nova Scotia Health Information Management Association will be considered grandfathered for this requirement.
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must clearly state such equivalencies in their cover letter, resume, or application. Additionally, candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information.
Hours of Work
Permanent Full-time Position; 75 hours bi-weekly
$36.3711 – $45.4638 Hourly
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Typically interviews are held within three to four weeks of the closing date. Successful external applicants will be required to submit the below documents and assume any associated costs, as a condition of employment. Additional documentation such as banking & proof of identity will be included in your offer letter.
Criminal Record Check
Proof of education & training certifications
Proof of any additional required qualification
Valid Registration with the relevant licensing body
Submission of immunization record along with health assessment documentation
Proof of SIN number
Hiring Process will depend on the timeliness of delivering the above. Nova Scotia Health Authority is proud to provide a smoke free and scent free environment.
Nova Scotia Health Authority (NSHA) is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. Our priority groups are Aboriginal People, African Nova Scotians, Persons with Disabilities and Recent Immigrants. Members of these groups are welcome to apply and self-identify if they wish to be considered under our Employment Equity policy. Only online applications are accepted.
Follow us on Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/NSHA.Recruitment/
About the Company
Company: Nova Scotia Health Authority
Company Location: Truro, NS